Contact with college coaches
• Contact: Any face-to-face encounter during which dialogue occurs.
• A college coach may contact a prospect or parent(s) off-campus beginning July 1 after your Junior year.
• Limit of three contacts per institution.
• A coach may not contact a prospect during competition.
• A coach may contact parents during competition.
College coaches are allowed to have in-person contact with student-athletes and/or their legal guardians. Coaches can watch student-athletes compete anywhere, and the coach can write and make telephone calls.
It is permissible for the college coach to evaluate student-athletes at their high school or any other place where they are competing. During this period the coach cannot have off campus in-person contact with a student-athlete or their legal guardians. The coach can still make telephone calls to the student-athlete or their legal guardians, and student-athletes are allowed to make campus visits during this period.
• Evaluations: Any off-campus activity designed to assess athletics and/or academics.
• Division I schools are limited to seven evaluations per recruit. There is no limit to the number of evaluations an institution may conduct in Division II or III.
The college coach cannot make in-person contact with student-athlete or their legal guardians. This prevents the coach from making any evaluations of student-athletes whatsoever. However, the coach can make telephone calls to student-athletes or their legal guardians.
During this time a college coach cannot watch student-athletes compete at any location. A college coach can make in-person contact with a student-athlete or their legal guardians if it occurs on the coach’s campus. Coaches are allowed to make telephone calls to student-athletes and their legal guardians, and student-athletes can make visits to college campuses during this time.
• Letters/printed materials/emails are permitted from coaches (or others at the college) beginning September 1 of your junior year.
• Email and fax are considered correspondence.
• Text messages are prohibited until a National Letter of Intent is signed. Starting August 1, 2013, college coaches can call, text and communicate privately by any methods available without restrictions.
Please keep in mind that the start date for phone calls and texts has not been decided. While the proposed date of August 1 has been adopted, it is currently in the override period and may not become official.
• Unlimited after September 1 beginning junior year.
• Prospect may phone a coach as often as they wish.
• Enrolled collegiate student-athletes may not make recruiting calls.
• You may telephone enrolled collegiate student-athletes at your own expense.
• Email is not considered a phone call, therefore, is not limited.
Please keep in mind that the start for phone calls has not been decided. While the proposed date of September 1 has been adopted, it is currently in the override period and may not become official